Wednesday, October 24, 2007

I was in the paper business


Richard made my day today.


Rich is this incredibly nice and funny older man who works in our office part time because he's "bored" with his retirement. He is just the nicest guy-- the kind of guy you want for a grandfather, or imagine the friendly old man at the park to be. Not in a creepy way. Just an honest-to-God sweet old man who makes funny jokes at weird times.

Anywho so on days like today where I have a lot of boring, idiotic stuff to do, Rich and I have "talks" and we talk about the inefficiency of the company we work for, the weather, the general state of affairs with respect to traffic, baseball, or construction in Chicago... we're the two lowest of the low here, so we commiserate. Me and the 76 year old guy who had a stroke.


The point of all of this is, today we were talking about working and this job and how I want a job in an industry I would feel more comfortable in... and I asked Rich... what did you do before you retired?

And Rich, ladies and gentlemen... was in the paper business. He was the (no lies) REGIONAL DISTRIBUTION MANAGER FOR AVERY DENNISON.

Rich is my damn hero right now.

No comments: